Obtaining a Certificate of Appropriateness
Procedure for Obtaining a Certificate
- First, determine if your property is located in a Borough Historic District. You may examine a Historic District map at Borough Hall, or you may obtain this information by calling Ms. JoAnn Connell at Borough Hall at 215-862-3347, or you may view and download the zoning map on the Code of Ordinances and Zoning Map page.
- Second, you may obtain an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness at Borough Hall, located at 123 New Street, or by downloading the Certificate of Appropriateness form (PDF). There is no application or review fee, although applicants may be charged an amount not to exceed $10 for property photographs taken by the Borough staff.
- Third, submit your application to Borough Hall. Applicants are required to submit copies of the completed application form, along with all necessary support documents, plans, and specifications.
- Completed applications must be submitted a minimum of ten (10) business days prior to the monthly Historic Architectural Review Board (HARB) meeting. It is recommended that applicants submit the required zoning and construction code permit applications a minimum of twenty (20) business days prior to the HARB monthly meeting date to allow the Zoning Officer and Code Official sufficient time to determine compliance with the applicable ordinances and codes. HARB meets at 125 New Street on the first Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.
- After review and acceptance of an application by HARB, the application and HARB’s recommendations will be forwarded to the New Hope Borough Council for consideration of issuance of a Certificate of Appropriateness.
Applicants are encouraged to attend both HARB and Council meetings to answer questions and to avoid delays. Written decisions are mailed to all applicants. The process of obtaining zoning and construction permits continues after Council issues a Certificate of Appropriateness.
- All plans must be submitted to the Zoning Officer and Code Official to determine compliance with the Zoning Ordinance and the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code prior to applying for a Certificate of Appropriateness.
- Applications for zoning and construction permits, along with applicable fees, are required prior to submission of an application to HARB.
For questions regarding procedures and other requirements, please contact the Zoning Officer at 215‐862‐3347.